It all started at a restaurant in the YMCA of Jamestown on August 14, 1949. They photographers got together to exchange ideas, philosophies, and techniques. Dana Barnes, John Lindquist, and Wayne Anderson become the Southwest New York Association of Professional Photographers on that day. They adopted the moniker SNAPP, and so the tradition was born. Dana Barnes become the first Chairman that same year.
State President Lew Rodabaugh presented SNAPP with their charter in 1957 so that they were officially recognized as a regional section of the Professional Photographers’ Society of New York State. In 1966, SNAPP became affiliated with PPA. In 1968, SNAPP member Ina Sigfried became the first woman elected as President of PPSNYS. It was 1974 when SNAPP hosted the first Talent Exchange Program.
And so the tradition continues, honoring the past, celebrating the present and laying the foundation for the future.
As members, we believe that the practice of photography is both an art and a science. We will continue to develop and encourage the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, business practices and customer relations.